Ask no man

No More Contention is the pursuit of clarity, charity and understanding. Contention arises from the compulsion to have others agree with us. Seeking understanding in an environment of clarity and charity produces no more contention. As Joseph Smith said, "I will ask no man to believe as I do."

Pinned post

Three broad categories

In a sense, contention is inevitable and unavoidable because every individual is unique, and no two people agree on everything.  Ideally, we...

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Joseph Smith: the principle of love

On Sunday, July 9th. 1843, Joseph gave an important sermon on contention.

“Joseph remarked that all was well between him and the heavens— that he had no enmity against any one, and as the prayer of Jesus, or his pattern, so prayed Joseph “Father forgive me my trespasses as I forgive those who trespass against me, for I freely forgive all men”. 

If we would secure and cultivate the love of others, we must love others, even our enemies, as well as friends: 

​Sectarian Priests cry out concerning me & say ask​ “why is it this babler gains so many followers, and retains them”? ​I answer, it is​ because I possess the principle of love, all I can offer the world, ​is​ a good heart and a good hand. 

The Saints​ can testify whether I am willing to lay down my life for ​my Brethren​. If it has been demonstrated that I have been willing to die for a Mormon, I am bold to declare before heaven that I am just as ready to die ​in defending the right of​ a Presbyterian, a Baptist or a good man of​ any other denomination, for the same principle which would trample upon the rights of the Latter Day Saints would trample upon the rights of the​ Roman Catholics  ​or​ any other denomination who may be unpopular & too weak to defend themselves. ​ 

It is a love of liberty which inspires my soul.— Civil and religious liberty ​to the whole of the human race,

​The enquiry is frequently made of me,​ “Wherein do you differ from others in your religious views?” 

In reality and essence we do not differ so far in our religious views but that we could all drink into one principle of love

One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may. We believe in the great Eloheim, who sits enthroned in yonder heavens: so do the Presbyterians. If a skilful Mechanic, in taking a welding heat, use​s​ borax, alum &c, ​& succeeds in welding together iron or steel more perfectly than any other mechanic, is he not deserving of praise?​ 

and ​if by the principles of truth I​ succeed in ​uniting​ all denominations​ together ​in the bonds of love​​ shall I not have attained a good object?

If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No; I will lift them up, and in ​their​ own way too if I cannot persuade ​them​ my way is better; and I will ​not seek to compel any​ man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning; for truth will cut its own way.

Do you believe in Jesus Christ, ​and the gospel of salvation which he revealed​? 

So do I. 

Christians should cease wrangling and contention with each other, and​ cultivate the ​principles of union and​ friendship in their midst​; and ​they​ will do it before the Millenium can be ushered in, and Christ takes possession of his Kingdom—

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/history-draft-1-march-31-december-1843/111

____

NOTE: the nonbiblical term "principle of love" was used dozens of times by Jonathan Edwards, including his sermon "Natural Men Are God's Enemies."

A natural man is wholly destitute of any Principle of Love to God and never had the least exercise of this love... when man fell... he wholly lost the principle of love he had to God .

So persons should examine their weanedness from the world by inquiring whether it be accompanied with and arises from a principle of love , whereby their hearts are drawn off from the things of the world to those spiritual and heavenly objects, to which their love carries them more than to the things of the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment